All City of Madison and State of Wisconsin laws regarding alcohol are fully enforceable on campus. In addition, the City of Madison has ordinances that are enforceable on city property. Students should be aware of the applicable laws, which include the following:
- It is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to possess or consume any alcoholic beverage(liquor, fermented malt liquor, etc.).
- It is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to procure or attempt to procure any alcoholic beverage. This can include ordering a drink at a bar or attempting to purchase beer at a liquor or convenience store or any other location that sells alcoholic beverages.
- Possession of false identification or identification that falsely represents the bearer to be of legal drinking age is illegal. Use of the ID is also illegal, and mere possession is a violation. It is illegal even if the ID belongs to an older sibling or other relative or friend. A person possessing a fake ID can be fined more than $500.
- Supplying alcoholic beverages to an underage person is illegal. This includes purchasing alcohol for an underage person at a tavern or liquor store, giving an alcoholic beverage to an underage person, and providing or selling alcohol to an underage person at a house party.
- OWI, or operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or other drugs or narcotics, applies to use of a moped as well as to a car. No person under the age of 21 may operate a motor vehicle with any trace of alcohol in their system.